Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Week of Camping

I've posted about 40 not-too-shabby pictures from my island-wide trip this past week (we had a break for Chinese New Year). You can read the details from some of the pictures in this Picasa web album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lonhig/ChineseNewYear09

This follows my 環島 "loop island" journey camping across Taiwan. Some nights we trespassed on farms, one night we camped at an elementary school, we backpacked a tiny slice of Taroko and stayed in a very old spa in Yilan. As you can see, my preoccupations were a little mountain-centric. Besides mountains, it was amazing seeing the Pacific from the cliffs along the East coast, lots of fireworks everywhere every night, Taroko gorge, eating lots of fresh veggies from mountain farms (so much better than lowland veggies!), drinking lots of tea fresh from the mountain-top using mountain stream water, seeing cherry blossoms, visiting a very old Japanese-built hot springs, and meeting really happy people everywhere. Everywhere we went (Mountains and East area) was predominantly aboriginal villages.

Here is a preview:






3 comments:

La Reine said...

Greetings, Lon!
You're the first beneficiary of my new-found resolve to write someone every Saturday morning. Congrats! I was very moved by your taking the trouble to send a HANDWRITTEN Christmas greeting. The apple didn't fall far from the tree; your mother has been amazing at keeping in touch through the years.

I just finished reading your camping post. Your narratives are so informative; I feel as if I'm there. I look for similar types of experiences when travelling, and find they satisfy me much more than

La Reine said...

most things recommended in tour guides. Why do you suppose the mountain farms produce better produce (sorry!) than those in the lowlands?

Some of your photos reminded me a bit of Irish shores. Also New Brunswick. Come to think of it, those scenes are reproduced all over the planet where water meets highlands. God, it must be a great vacation for extraterrestrial types!

La Reine said...

This feels somewhat like a tease, as I have to go now. Katherine's in final rehearsal for her first play, Pinocchio, and we have to get ready for they day.

Did you ever see the Marching Abominables? They're kicking off a jugglers' convention this afternoon at the Yaarab Temple on Ponce. So, a morning of theatre, an afternoon of eccentric showmanship and an evening of drumming. Not a bad day, all considered.

Now if I only knew how to make money as well as I know how to live! But that's a subject for another day...

I'll check back here from time to time, and in the meantime, if you'd like to contact me in cyberspace, write to ezappa@earthlink.net.

Raise your chopsticks to me next time you order one of those amazing takeout meals!

Love,
Aunt E.