Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Entertainment

One of the best things about being a Westerner in a foreign land is the endless opportunities for hilarious interactions with children. When I walk down the street and cross paths with a group of kids, the excitement of the kids can manifest itself in different ways. Sometimes they will vie for my attention by using the first English phrases that come to mind - almost always self introductions. Sometimes though, and especially if they are older and the number of kids is smaller, they will instinctively look to the funniest kid in the group to spontaneously do something outrageous in my vicinity. Obviously their interest is getting a laugh out of the spectacle: look at how stupid Sam is being! Look at the foreigner's reaction! But the obvious side effect is free entertainment for the foreigner.

I don't know whether or not I can rightfully take credit for the stupid action I was recently witness to, but I'll do so anyway so as to make the story a perfect example. Sunday morning I woke up early due to my residual jet lag and decided to go for a swim at the beach. It was my good fortune I took my camera with me (honest to gods I picked it up on my way out the door out of fidelity to you, dear readers) too, because after exhausting myself in the water, I emerged to see some local teenagers making with the funny business. I had previously noted the peculiarity of their presence and age inappropriate behavior upon my arrival - as it was 8am and they were wading around and throwing sand at each other. This stunt, however, was truly unexpected:
I'll just assume for my sanity that they were riding stolen bikes and were still awake from a rollicking Saturday night of hooliganism. Though in a land where kids go to the park at 7:00 am on Saturdays to practice their jump shot, I have to take my sanity where I can get it.

No comments: